With Sawyer Brook, couture services go hand-in-hand with fine, fashion fabrics.
From the voice you hear on the phone to the hands that cut your fabric, you will be working with fabric specialists who understand your individual sewing needs.
Every order is a valued, custom order. We custom cut every order based on your needs, and your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Count on us for Savvy Sewist Advice for choosing or using your fabrication. Button experts are available to guide you as you work with our distinctive array of styles.
We provide Eyes-On Color Matching for products we offer and any swatch or sample you send us. Based on your specifications, we will examine the two fabrics that you wish to match or blend and give you our honest opinion as to the desirability of your choice.
Reach us by email for all inquiries about orders, customer and membership details, and other requests.
We will be happy to speak with you any time during normal business hours. Feel free to leave a message if you can’t reach us and we will return your call as soon as possible. Customers calling from outside the U.S. the telephone number is +01-978-368-3133.
- Orders: You can place your order securely through our web store or call us toll-free.
- Savvy Sewist Advice: We are always pleased to answer any of your questions about sewing with our fabrics or buttons. Call during business hours if you wish to speak with one of our fabric or button experts.
You may place your order, start a membership, or send swatches for Best Match service through the postal service to the address below:Sawyer Brook Distinctive Fabrics
P.O. Box 700W
Clinton, MA 01510-0700
Celebrating fabric for over 40 years!
We are a mail order fashion fabric service providing high quality, unique fabrics to the home sewer. From its humble beginnings in 1974 in Orford, New Hampshire, Sawyer Brook has grown and moved several times passing from its original owners to Barb Blom in 1991 who recently retired, transferring ownership in 2015 to its current owner, Faten Ramadan. Through it all, the devotion to quality, distinctive styling and best in class customer services has kept Sawyer Brook at the forefront of the mail order fabric business. Our customers throughout the world are loyal and rely on us to meet their fashion sewing needs.
We enjoy getting to know our subscribers both on the telephone, through email and in person. We thought you’d enjoy getting to know a little about us too. Chances are we’re a lot like you.
We try to share our enthusiasm with you every chance we get and really appreciate hearing back from you. The bulletin board and online Gallery boast many photos from subscribers who have shared their creations with us. We hope you’ll take the time to let us get to know you too.
Note from Faten
As the new owner of Sawyer Brook Distinctive Fabrics, I am delighted and honored to continue to serve its members with the same commitment to quality and excellence in products and services.
I believe what makes Sawyer Brook so distinct, in addition to the fabric choices it offers, is its member services and the knowledge of its staff. I have always admired Barb’s taste for high quality fabrics and for the extent she was willing to go to make sure Sawyer Brook’s members are pleased with the products and services.
It is my intent to continue to provide Sawyer Brook’s members with high quality fabrics and the best customer services while expanding on the types of services currently offered. I am excited and I look forward to serving existing and new Sawyer Brook members.
I invite you to frequently visit our web store and browse our fabric collection as I continue to add more to the collection and as I find the fabrics and designs that meet the standards of Sawyer Brook as your own standards.
Your feedback is most valuable. I would love to learn what you want Sawyer Brook to make available, assisting you in looking and feeling great!
– Faten Ramadan
Read what our customers have to say about us:
She learned to sew upon graduating from college (some 30 years ago) with a degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Architecture. She loved to dress up and found it very hard to get well made and high quality fashionable ready to wear clothes that fit her very petite silhouette. She made all of her professional clothes, often modifying patterns to create original designs. She had a passion for high quality silk, wool, cotton and linen. After a long and successful career in high tech and prior to acquiring Sawyer Brook, she managed a small on-line retail where she marketed and sold her own designs of unique skirts. All products were manufactured at her workshop in Massachusetts using high quality fabrics.
The wonderful people who made Sawyer Brook a success over the past 24 years!
Sewing since her teens (just a few decades ago !?!), Barb has worked with and sold top quality fabrics for years. As the owner of the business, her responsibilities included buying, copywriting, advertising, marketing, customer service, and group presentations. Husband, Don, handled the finances of the business in his spare time (he works full time in the finance field), and their eldest son, Andy, was responsible for web page design and implementation, continued his support from Michigan where he is a university professor. Adam, a pharmaceutical chemist, provided tech support on weekend visits. Cassie, a pediatric nurse, knew where she can find the fabrics she needed for her sewing projects! All in all, a family affair!
Trained as a home economics teacher, Judy has a thorough knowledge of fabrics and garment construction and an obsession with all things sewing related. She tells us she has been sewing since she was 4 years old!! In charge of the cutting room, Judy examined and cut your fabric and trained new cutters as they came on board. Long before the fabrics reached the cutting room Judy checked and tested them as they arrived in the receiving area. The business counted on her fabric knowledge throughout. She ran the cutting room smoothly and kept all on their toes in support of the best custom order fulfillment offered to customers. In addition to working here and caring for her family of three grown sons and three grandchildren, Judy is very active on the board of the Boston Chapter of ASG.
Most of you have spoken with Sue on the phone as you place your orders–she’s the one with that Kentucky drawl! She had primary responsibility for telephone orders, shipping, and tucking new swatches in your packages to make you drool! Having worked in the insurance industry many years, Sue brought a wealth of experience in office procedures and sales. She supervised the catalog area, keeping everyone on their toes on stuffer day–when we stuffed and mailed the swatches to subscribers. In addition, Sue ably assisted in the marketing and promotion areas.
Colleen was the voice behind the email newsletters and designed print advertising for the national media. You continue to see her work in our web photography and her merchandising skills at our web site which was the major part of her job as the web business continued to grow. In addition, her background in merchandising to arrange photo set ups and design show displays were great assets to the business. In her other life, Colleen pursued a number of creative ventures including stained glass, mosaic designs for the garden, primitive rug hooking, counted cross stitch, knitting and photography. She and her husband enjoy cross country skiing and have taken up motorcycling as well. Her son is all grown up now so she babies her 3 dogs and is back in school working toward her 2nd degree, in Graphic Design.
Dixie, the button specialist, came first as a customer. She was quickly scooped up for part time work while she pursued her Masters in Counseling Psychology. “My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 12 — a good thing, since I was 6 feet tall by then, and had lots of trouble finding anything to fit!” An accomplished sewer, Dixie gave in to the urge to learn knitting and has added that to her list of creative passions. “I love it because I get to choose fiber, texture, color, and design to create my own unique garments. Plus, I get to add the final touch to my cardigans and jackets with wonderful buttons from Sawyer Brook!” More importantly she helped choose the new buttons to add to the collection whether they are custom made Italian buttons, or manufacturer overruns. She has an eye for the best! Recently Dixie has moved her creative studio right next to us so we get to see her inspiration even on her days off from SB.
Janee started as a sub for us and quickly became a permanent part of our cutting room staff. We’ve known Janee for a number of years because of her involvement with the local ASDP Chapter. A sewer since childhood, she has been an active part of the community of sewers throughout her life. She began her own custom sewing business, “Janee’s Originals,” in 1990, creating careerwear and special occasion clothing, as well as altering RTW. SB took advantage of her expertise in the cutting room and in online customer service. In recent years she has added database specialist to her list of duties at SB. Since Candy’s retirement Janee has taken over as lead Best Match-er for linings, zippers and threads. Janee says that she leapt at the chance to work in the Sawyer Brook cutting room just to be close to the wonderful fabrics and great people!
Denise began her sewing career when her mother signed her up for sewing lessons. She spent her childhood and early teen years sewing for herself. Like many of us she got busy later on and dropped sewing, only to pick it up again with enthusiasm when her children were young. She busied herself sewing for them and then branched out into the wedding and costume venues for relatives and friends. Then she caught the quilting bug! Currently Denise teaches quilting classes and beginner sewing classes at Ready Set Sew in Grafton.
After 17 years with Sawyer Brook Candy has hung up her shears! Well, almost. Candy is an avid sewist and has shown us all how to make sure sewing stays part of your life. After raising three daughters and sewing for each in turn, Candy is ready to spend time with her grandchildren, making adorable outfits and gently introducing the needlecrafts to her granddaughter. Candy still remains on call for assistance in fabric purchasing and collection design. Her keen eye for color continues to enhance our mailers.
What some of our customers have to say…
- Rebecca A - Thank you for your speedy, pleasant, and efficient customer service. The package was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home from work last night. I appreciate your swatching service and great fabrics and will continue to enjoy … Continued
- Salliann - Thank you so much for catching my mistake….I cannot compliment you and the service you provide enough. You’ve already saved me from one expensive mistake and I’m really glad you asked me about the weird number of buttons, too. I … Continued
- Bettie - It is so good to have found a place that has beautiful garment fabric along with excellent help to match buttons, lining, interfacings and thread. After spending many years sewing for my family, I had to give up because the … Continued
- Teri S - I just wanted to tell you that you have the most wonderful website I have seen. I just started sewing again and look forward to purchasing fabrics from your company. Whoever is putting together the fabrics, buttons, draping fabric on … Continued
- Kathy - I love your website, your fabrics, and especially your service, which is so personable. It is nice to feel as if I am talking to a knowledgeable sales person. Also, thank you for being so prompt.
- Mary Beth M. - My fabric and buttons arrived, the fabric is especially nice, I’ll use it in the fall for a little jacket or something nice and warm, Thank You
- Nina T - This will be great for a DVF style wrap dress. Cotton knits are so hard to find. Thank you. (on an order)
- Kathy P - I was not planning to use them together so the dye lot difference should not be a problem. I really do appreciate your thoughtfulness in asking. It is just one of those little things that is consistently provided by your … Continued
- Barbara W. - Thank you! I’m delighted to have been able to scoop up the scraps! (email response to our shipment confirmation, sending her order of the last remaining bits and pieces of a popular fabric)
- Jan D - P.S. I love your fabric – I am sure you have figured that out! I have on a jacket, tank, and pair of slacks made from Sawyer Brook fabrics! You are wonderful. This garment will be so beautiful. I can’t … Continued
- Carol - Thanks Janee, I received my fabric and it is beautiful!
- Ann G - I am busy sewing all the Ponte knit fabric that I bought this year and it makes the most warm and comfortable turtlenecks. With a leftover piece, I had enough to make a turtleneck for a 1-year-old nephew! So you … Continued
read more testimonials …